Our team is building tools for advancing the state-of-the art in communication and behavioral analysis. We work on R&D projects using computational methods to generate new insights from problem-sets ranging from disinformation and violent extremism to marketing and business strategy. Our data scientists are working on delivering data-driven insights to customers and translating those approaches into human-driven machine learning tools and technologies. We are looking for a seasoned manager to help build and grow this team.
This role involves a little of everything; people management, technical leadership, project management, and individual contributions. You'll be responsible for mentoring a team of data scientists and ML engineers while helping to build out additional people management practices and processes. Further, you'll act as a technical lead on data science driven projects and/or as a Principal Investigator on research and development programs. Finally, you'll use your experience and technical skills to develop prototypes and experiments to drive projects forward and capture new business. As this is a new team, we are looking for candidates who are willing to help grow the organization by taking on a range of responsibilities across the technical and management spectrum, as well as effectively collaborate across teams and business units.
Your day-to-day will include:
- Track progress on project tasks, plan upcoming work, and communicate status horizontally and vertically
- Perform analyses and generate detailed data products for internal stakeholders and external clients
- Provide input to business development efforts and help to identify new opportunities
- Hold 1:1s with members of the data science team and provide both technical and career guidance
- Research and develop machine learning methods for a wide range of text extraction and classification tasks, often with limited labels and/or in multiple languages
- Deliver version-controlled, documented, and reproducible analyses and experiments
Work Experience and Skills
- Experience leading small to medium size data science and/or engineering teams.
- 5+ years of experience in the data science field (this is flexible depending on academic and management experience)
- Possess strong communications skills, with the ability to communicate complex ideas clearly and concisely to a range of audiences
- Proficiency with major Python data science libraries, including the SciPy stack and Scikit-learn
- Experience with at least one deep learning and/or NLP framework (Tensorflow, PyTorch, Transformers, etc.)
- Ability to use git, as well as other version, workflow, and project management tools and technologies
- Advanced degree in computer science, math/statistics, engineering, linguistics, social science, or a related field
- Prior work in the marketing/communications and/or defense sectors
- Ability to obtain and/or maintain a US government security clearance
- Experience with other technologies and platforms in our stack, including: Elasticsearch, Kibana, Docker, MLFlow, DVC, Kubernetes, GCP, GitLab
The position may require some on-site work in Northern Virginia for team and client meetings.